Wednesday, October 10, 2007

10.10.10! Oh, it's only 10.10.07.

Where did I come from?
Where am I going?
How do I get there?
What is cheese?
How small is the average peanut?

But the real question is: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Hmmmmmm...

I apologize for my mockery. Although it is quite amusing to me, and I love amusing myself!

Anywho, the first three questions are the ones that define your meaning of life, Mark said. This is very interesting because I remember when I was about seven or eight I always wondered why I existed. I was so filled with anger so early on that I was like what is the point of living if I'm not here for a reason? And that is when I started talking to my mom about God and why I was baptized and all that jazz. Religion is an interesting topic for me because I am Christian, I attended an Anglican church for my whole life, a lot of my friends are Muslim or Jewish, I've known Buddhists...I just think religion is such and interesting topic. So anyways, eventually my philosophy is that God has a reason for everything, even if he doesn't reveal the reason to you right away. I honestly live by this rule.

In class we talked about other rules...rules as metaphors and how love is one of many rules. I didn't really get it, butttt I'm not too worried about the whole thing...

Actually now that I think about it, I do understand. Since you originate from your parents and a lot of their views are passed on to you, the rule of love for yourself derives from the voice that originates from your parents. It's like because they once said something about your partner being strong or something like that, whatever you think about a partner will originate from 'where you came from' and your parents' voice in your head.. That is going to be so annoying, to hear the voice of your mom and dad for every situation/decision...lame.

De Saussure said that text is anything you can name. I find De Saussure's thoughts to be very interesting, so that might be a follow-up read I may end up pursuing.

It's so true how there is no connection between most words and objects. Sometimes there is some kind of connection between a word and an object, but rarely. I can't even think of one now.


BAH THIS HELPS SO MUCH WITH MY SEMIOTICS PAPER...Definitely keeping this just as notes for myself:
sign 1) signifier, tangible things
2) signified mental concepts

Signification=meaning

There are 3 levels of meaning:
denotation
connotation and myth
ideology

Meaning is made up of 3 parts: the object, a reference, and the interpreter

Reading, or all meaning making, is a negotiation:
-hegemonic or dominant
-negotiated
-oppositional/aberrant (wrong)

The opening credits of 6 feet under is the apparent inspiration for some semiotics papers..although I'm not getting an idea yet, but I assume it will be revealed to me all in due time..as in, long before the paper is due..so I can get it in on time.

And as my last note of the day: synecdoche. What a cool word.

No comments: