It is amazing the things parents will do for their kids. This girl on my floor had problems with her internet and she was complaining like there was no tomorrow. She decides to call her dad and tell him that there's something wrong and that she needs it fixed right away, because she really needs the internet to do her homework.
She thought that there was NO way that her dad would be able to get her internet so fast. I told her good luck and left her to her dilemma. 10 minutes later I get a phone call. It's her, telling me that apparently her dad had called the front desk, and they said that someone would be up in five minutes. I guess her dad thought her getting the internet was a life or death ordeal.
Now I guess there are two ways of looking at this.
(1) She was resourceful and asked her father to help her out. This wasn't an abuse of anything since she used what she knew to help her situation.
or:
(2) She was completely unwilling to accomodate herself. She could have used someone else's computer, hooked up to the internet in the lounge, etc. There were other options.
I guess the reason I'm looking at this so critically is because I would have just held out. Yeah, it's an inconvenience, but it would be time to get creative.
I don't know if it is something incredibly unique, but I think it's at least a little bit unusual. I don't know if this will screw her over in life; if she'll be unable to function on her own, independently. I really don't know. I just know that when things like that happen to me, I make the best of the situation, using myself and my own mind to fix the problem. Yeah sure, my dad would jump at the chance to help me, but how am I supposed to be able to live independently if I'm constantly being helped? For me, I like to see the challenge to adapt to the situation. Maybe I'm just thinking too much? Is there even such thing as thinking too much?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment