Saturday, September 29, 2007

Ways of Understanding Comics...well not really.

...And now for a book posting. Ah excellent. I've always dreaded this moment when I would have to write about a book. I might trail off into an unwanted discussion laced with irrelevance... Uh-oh, here we go!

I feel like I'm doing a grade two book report, but at least then I could present it with some class. I remember for my first creative book report in grade two the teacher told us to 'present the book in the best way you think you can.' Now I don't have a very good memory, but I remember thinking, "Please, I'm going to do this book report in the best way I KNOW I can." I had this great idea of doing a fast-forward version of the book (I decided I would act out all the characters and their interactions, with all the costumes and accents of course) as well as a book-report-in-a-bag where you use a bag to put items in that represent bits and pieces of the story. (Apparently, this book-report-in-a-bag wasn't as brilliant idea as I thought, because we ALL had to do this in grade five. But then again I thought of it in grade two, so maybe I invented it and then the teachers stole my idea? Bahaha now I'm not too sure.). So I asked my Dad for his input with the practicality of my idea. He helped me and, well let's just say that the fast-forward version was disastrous because, well it WAS a one woman-errr, one kid show. But the book-report-in-a-bag was super and yes, another gold star for me. That's the funny thing about parents. They really want to help you because they know there will be a time when you won't need their help at all. And they won't be able to stand it.

The same can be said for some grandparents. I know mine are exactly like the kind I am about to describe, and I know of some others that act this same way.

My grandparents are the kind that looooove to spoil me. Every time when I was little they used to give me rolls of one dollar, or 25-cent coins. They were always generous, even over-generous if you will. Then eventually my parents must have told them that they didn't appreciate them constantly giving my sister and I money, that we would spend on candy anyways. (My parents kept nothing that wasn't natural in our house; that included candy, artificial chocolate mix, dunkaroos...anything that would exempt me of having a deprived childhood in the junk food department) Finally my grandparents just set us up an account that they deposited money into all the time. (And I'm not kidding; this was literally all the time) It was good in a way though, because that money helps to pay for my education. Well, it and the scholarships that I've received, but still a large portion, maybe 35% is from my grandparents just being 'over-generous'. Even now, when I'm older, my grandparents still slip me money under the table at birthday parties or at Christmas, just so that my parents don't see. I do love my grandparents though. Not because they give me money or because they feed my sweet-tooth, but because they are always up for good times. There are so many memories I have with my grandparents that I can't believe have even happened. I remember once I was serving them pie, and my grandpa wanted a bigger piece. He said I was being stingy, and advised me to not be shy with the pie piece just because he had diabetes. Now, BOTH of my grandparents have diabetes. They usually follow their diets, but let's just say I get my sweet-tooth from my grandpa. So despite my mom telling me not to give grandpa a bigger piece of pie (I was 11-years-old at the time, at the peak of my age of obedience) I did. Yes, my mom had good intentions with her advice; I understood that my mom didn't want my grandpa to have some kind of attack and then end up in the hospital, or even dead. But I thought, well, I know my grandpa well, and I know that if he were to die, he'd want his last bite of food to be pie. Or something sweet. Because he would at least go to heaven with pie, and he would have a sweet taste in his mouth for all eternity. That's what I thought anyways. And that's also what I still think.

Wow I lied, that whole last part was DOUSED with irrelevance. So now, onto my book posting. For your convenience it's in a completely different post! Now fancy that!

No comments: