Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Woah, Nelly...

My Media Autobiography 'creative' part:















So I really didn't think that the projects from last week were bad at all. Actually I was impressed by a lot of the really original ones: comparing media to alcohol, the finger puppets, and the Middle Media map. But in a class yesterday we ended up looking at someone's blog, and this person was ranting about how thoroughly unimpressed he/she was about everyone's projects. She said something like 'Oh my goodness, I've never seen so many collages.' I'm sorry, but there were some pretty cool projects presented and not all of them were collages. This person also said something about all the effort that he/she put into his/her project, which I have to say was one of my favourites. He/she was talking about how much work she had put into it and how many countless hours he/she spent on her belly doing hers. Well I counted how many hours it took to my billboard, and it totaled to around 16.5 hours. And that was only for the billboard part, not including the writing I had to do for it. Mine was somewhat of a collage I guess. I just didn't want to call it that because I thought everyone who had a collage would call it a collage. And yes, there were a lot of collages but there were some really creative other projects as well. You also can't blame people for not being creative; some people were born creative, some people were pushed to be creative, some pushed themselves to be creative, and some just aren't. You can't be inconsiderate about it and hold it against them. I guess the person was just ranting like I am now, so I've actually decided that I'm not actually offended. I just think that it just goes to show how people think and how they jump to conclusions when they don't actually know situations. As a Western Socitey we have forgotten about circumstance. There is so much judging going on that is completely unnecessary. For example, since I live on residence I have become friends with a lot of people on my floor. I was speaking to one of the girls (let's just call her A) about how we had decided that our floor was a non-judgment floor. Then suddenly she started speaking about how "I don't like B because she doesn't shut up and has nothing important to say." Now, right after speaking about not judging people (we've only been here for about 4 weeks!) she goes and says that. So I replied "well, I haven't talked to B that much so I don't really have that viewpoint on her, I think she is nice." But of course A just kept rambling off about other people she didn't like on the floor (like some girls tend to do) and I was just fed up. Why would I want to be friends with such a....bitch? Seriously. Now of course that is completely hypocritical since I am judging her given the situation, but that's just how we are trained to think! I know it shouldn't be, and I shouldn't be blaming it on anyone but myself, but it created a domino effect: B got judged but A and A got judged by me. I try my best not to judge anyone before I get to really know them, but I always slip up when I see someone else being judged. Sometimes I can't believe that life is this complicated.

No comments: