Today, the four weekiversary of our class ( Yes, I KNOW that sounded lame).
So our discussion, well Mark's lecture, was about a lot of things including syllogism, Postman's book, and yes, that's right a visit into childhood, Sesame Street and Magic School Bus (Said in a East Indian accent, like the little boy that says it in the opening credits that is hanging upside down as he calls the Magic School Bus Hot line thing).
Syllogism: a deductive scheme of a former arguement. If A=B and B=C, therefore A=C. That's ca-ra-zayyyy! Haha I'm kidding. My definititon would be deductive reasoning, but the dictionary's definition is much better.
I don't want to talk about Postman in this post, man. (Ahaha) But I do want to talk about the other topic we had in class, about educational media.
After hearing that the media is the message, Sesame Street and other educational shows seem so terrible. They teach a child to watch TV and teach about commercials, (this program is brought to you by the letter B) which I don't think is too good. That's why now so many kids just want to watch movies and TV. Ughh I cannot STAND the ones who actually tune out everything else around them and literally have their eyes fixed on the screen. Even at camp this summer, my friend Aaron and I decided to watch Pocahontas with the kids, and we would try to talk to them during it, and they didn't even hear us. How can parents not be aware of this? Or they are aware of this and not do anything about it? There was one kid, Ethan, who was plopped in front of the TV every day since he was about 6 months old. For some reason he watched British TV, and what happened? He started speaking with a British accent, which he still has. It's MESSED.
Anyways, we learned that what you do with media is what makes it educational. I remember when all the kids in my gifted class said that it was Magic School Bus (MSB) that made them gifted. Ughh I HATED Magic School Bus for some reason and I still ended up with them, so I really doubt that's the reason. I mean, I appreciated their opinion and everything, but I really don't think that MSB makes you gifted. What a terrible analysis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment