Sunday, November 11, 2007

Activism: We tried, We really did.

Initially, we were going to show our documentary in a conference or common room at residence, but it was hard to organize a group showing since we were unable to get sponsors for incentives to students to come. So we decided to use an innovative approach for turning apathy into activism.

Our idea was for everyone to make a copy of the DVD and then show it to a friend or someone else that they knew. Then, to create the domino effect, the group member encouraged to get the friend to show the film to someone else. This sort of mirrors the pay-it forward approach to spreading something, and in this case, it was awareness about the children of Uganda that, well, people are unaware of. Each member of the group made a copy of the DVD and showed it to one individual. Then that secondary group shows the video to one person of their own. We think that it is a unique way of spreading the word because it isn’t mass media, but in a way it is. Importance is discussed in documentary.

The idea was there, but for some of us, the person we chose might not have been ideal for the goal that we wanted to accomplish.

For my ‘victim’ that I showed the film to, I think I chose the wrong person. From this experience I learned that I am an over-expectant person. I wanted to show the film to someone that would be benefited by it, someone that has generally acted self-centered and very self-involved. Unfortunately, the person I showed it to had a negative approach to watching it, even from the beginning. I guess it just shows that not everyone is going to be as accepting as I think they are. People aren’t going to be selfless or helpful. I guess I just expect a lot-well, too much- from people.

For other people in the group that showed the film to others, I have heard great results. There are Invisible Children DVDs circulating Residence, not only in one building but in all three. I think it's kind of cool that a group project for school started all of it.

No comments: