Subtitle One.
On Wednesday I arrived at exactly 1:35, so I missed the first snippet video. Ohhhhh well, what can you do? Then we watched the first bit of Zeitgeist. Vanessa has been telling me about this movie for so long and yeah, I totally want to watch it. The ideas in it, about religion and perceptions of the truth, etc. I can definitely understand. And in some respects I can even agree. I have yet to watch the full film though, so I'll reserve my comments for afterwards.
Exercise! As In, a group exercise.
Mark put us into groups to brainstorm/discuss important technological advancements. I guess this was to get us thinking about the timeline of media and social correlation. It's interesting to note that thereare so many themes that the timeline could be centered around. For example. take the idea of audio recording. First came the phonograph, then the magnetic wire recorder, then the tape recorder and LP record, then the portable cassette tape, and finally, the compact disc in 1983. As these technologies progressed, various music types emerged coinciding with the technologies. Since I am abig fan of history and origins of people and things, this project looks really fun and educational. I'm looking forward to getting together with my group and planning everything out!
Coping? Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?
Mark told us that drugs and alcohol are not an effective way of dealing with stress. Hallelujah, thank you for letting us know. People my age are SO used to just shoving off their problems with abusing stuff like that, and it's not only not right because they aren't learning coping strategies, it can also be damaging to their health.
Since I have had severe atopic dermatitis (super bad eczema) since I was a baby, was the fat kid, had anger problems, then had depression problems, problems with my mom, lost my hair when I was fourteen, among other things, I think I have experimented and know my ways of coping. Through all the extra stuff I've done through the years, school, student council, student government groups, dance classes, piano lessons, leadership conferences, anti-racism conferences, volunteer work, a job, and competitive soccer.. I look back on it now and seriously don't understand how I rarely stressed out. I used to have this theory that I didn't believe in getting stressed out. I think it's because I don't get stressed out and yell or cry or anything like that, I stress out physically: I get sick, my eczema comes back, etc. Truly though, I think that all my activities were my way of coping with the stress. Well guess what, it worked.
I went to a counsellor last summer because my mom had this theory that I was always wearing a mask, not physical, but she felt that because I was constantly busy and so outgoing, that I was really just so unhappy with my life. And part of it was true, but at the same time I am an outgoing person and I love being around people. I don't love my love, but I don't absolutely hate it. I mean I'm a pretty privileged person and I am completely aware of that. I hardly have anything to complain about, yet I still obviously do. Anyways, all this counsellor helped with was realizing that my mom and I had completely different personalities, so we're basically always going to have difficulties understanding each other. AND, coping strategies and tips. Like exercising, eating right, etc. Well.. I guess those activities I was doing kept me busy, as well as forced me to complete these coping strategies. Now that I'm not as crazily involved, I don't know if I will end up cracking sometime soon. I mean I'm not at all close, but I wonder if maybe next semester I will. I really thought that Mass Comm would do it to me, but apparently I have better automatic coping strategies than I thought.
Haven't we had enough confessions for the time-being?
Media confessions.. I really don't know if I have one. Maybe..
I confess that I love reading 'Discover' magazine? Is that really a confession? I'm actually proud of it, regardless of whether it makes me seem strange and overly-academic. Or something lame like that.
Being an Interesting Person as a Skill
I don't think that being an interesting person is a skill, because that could be the same as acting like an interesting person as a skill. I'd rather just be my regular self and hope I become an interesting person. I also hope that being weird and unique is a start to being an interesting person.
And now for something completely different!
The Achordants - An Capella Choir. I sooo wish we had a club like this at GH... I'm usually up for being crazy busy, but I think for my first year of University I should take it easy-ish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment