Here I am, thinking that I am very mature for my age. People always tell me that they think I'm 20-22 years of age because of how I present myself and how I speak. But yet, while I was writing my Christmas book list (I usually don't ask for presents, but this year I decided to 'shake it up') and one of the books on it is Running With Scissors. I think this may be one of my favourite books after Catcher in the Rye. Running With Scissors is filled with just such strange situations, but they're so strange that it makes it pretty much realistic. There are so many random things in that book that are just so..funny and sometimes even personable. For instance, the part about Bible dipping (the act of asking a question, and then randomly selecting a page and a sentence and relate it to the question) was hilarious since I sometimes randomly picked a part of the Bible to read, but I didn't think anyone actually named it anything. Then of course I started thinking about how in the book, the Doctor (sorry I forget his name) says that his poop tells of the financial future. I'm not explaining why because I don't know if people can take it in, but let me just finish my point. Basically I realised that I thought it was interesting that the Doctor believed he could predict the future from his poop. Now, I have once seen a book called 'What's your poo telling you?' at one of my favourite stores called Urban Outfitters. After I related the two, I wondered if poop could also tell of othe aspects of life, sort of like palm readings. So I decided to Google 'bowel movement psych analysis' and similar phrases. I didn't really find anything except...
Another book to put on my reading list! It's called Poop Culture: How America is Shaped by its Grossest National Product. I think it would be an interesting cultural theory to explore, especially since it's the act is a similarity among most people and animals, except apparently this guy..."Having never once defecated or urinated in my life, this book opened a fascinating, if not disturbing, new world for me." -- Patton Oswalt, Comedian
Here's the link to the page about this book: www.poopthebook.com
So my reading list currently consists of:
1) Brave New World : Referred to other posts for explanation
2) 1984 : Refer to other posts for explanation
3) The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer: After hearing these stories in different grade school classes and then once in high school, I would sometime like to actually read the stories/poems on my own. It puts together history and reading..my two nerdy indulgences.:D
4) A Midsummer Night's Dream : I've never read a Shakespearean play that I didn't like. Seriously. I've read Hamlet, Othello, Julius Caesar, The Taming of the Shrew and Romeo and Juliet. A Midsummer Nights Dream seems like the one that I wouldn't like, but I definitely want to give it a chance. Other plays I want to read by Shakespeare are As You Like It and the Tempest. I also really want to reread Twelfth Night because that was by far my favourite play. HilariOUS.
5) Poop Culture : An interesting study!
No comments:
Post a Comment