Saturday, November 24, 2007

Meth, The Home-Cooked Menace

Two summers ago I read a book called 'Meth, The Home-Cooked Menace.' It was just a bunch of stories about what happened to individuals who used the drug methamphetamine. My mom suggested it to me, although I didn't know why at the time. I remember reading it pretty avidly because I brought it to Kingston one day because my soccer team had a championship game there. All the parents looked at me weird sort of saying "Why does the coach's daughter have a book about meth...these girls are 16!" But really, at least I'm just reading about it and not doing the drug. Reading that book made me NEVER want to do that drug. Or any drug that changes your perception of reality THAT much.

Since those kind of drugs, like meth and ecstasy and shrooms, etc. are harmful in the long run, I realized that to steer me away from them, I should read books about them! So I found a book about E that I would like to read, called "Ecstasy Reconsidered" by Nicholas Saunders. It has different uses of E, medical studies, therapist use, dangers, etc. I also want to read "Howard Marks' Book of Dope Stories" and "Drugs and the Party Line" by Kevin Williamson. The "Book of Dope Stories" is by Howard Marks, who was a top drug smuggler who was sentenced to 25 years in jail, but only served 7. This book looks interesting because it has to do with a drug that is SO common among people, especially students. "Drugs and the Party Line" has a political approach, discussing a version of the truth about recreational drug use.

The website page that I got these books from is actually closely connected to the Green Party. The site is an advocate for safe drug use. But is there even really such thing as 'safe drug use?' If you think about it, it's sort of naive to think that nothing will ever go wrong, just as long as you use drugs properly and safely. I'm pretty sure drugs are illegal for a reason. I just find it fascinating that people think that they're safe as long as they read up on the drug.

I just know that I'm prone to becoming addicted to stuff (I have a maaaaassive sweet tooth) so I honestly would never want to risk the chance of becoming addicted to a harmful, or detrimental-to-health-at-all type drug.

The movies are right, mothers DO know everything.



Site: http://drugs.greenparty.org.uk/books/books.htm

No comments: