Well, that was it. Sixty-nine per cent on my semiotics paper. Before we got our papers back, Mark stated that the average was 69% which was the highest average over the years of classes doing this assignment. I started to worry when a good amount of people were saying 'man, I got 84%!, I got 93%!' I thought, could I be one of group that made the average go down? I mean I knew I could have done better, as one can do with anything. There's always room for improvement, and it just sucks that you only realize it after the fact. In hindsight. Kind of like what Marshall McLuhan says about the rear-view mirror effect. Anyways, eventually I got my paper, but I waited until I was back at home before seeing what I got. I knew I couldn't handle it if I had failed, or even, got a 50%...so I held up a bit for myself.
I'm pretty happy with my grade. Usually I wouldn't be satisfied about it, but I totally see where I was at fault and where I should have changed something. I am, however, disappointed with the fact that the effort I put into it wasn't seen through the paper. Obviously that's completely my fault, but I'm still annoyed that my writing, in fact, does cloud my ideas.
I received another writing assignment back in another class and I got 72%. I'll admit, I didn't put that much effort into it. But at the same time I guess I am a poor writer, so I also understood that mark. Then I got back ANOTHER writing assignment, and I got 80%. Now I think this was because the course wasn't centered around writing or the ability to write, and this is why I got a half-decent grade. Still, I'm definitely going to the writing center at some point soon, because I do indeed need some guidance for that kind of stuff.
So in class we didn't actually discuss much, except for the final stage of the class i.e. the blogs and the last word letter. I got a good gist of what Mark wants from us with our blogs...I honestly think that I'm on the right track. Knock on wood...
I think that one idea that I will never be able to wrap my head around is the notion of people getting a second chance. I don't mean from jail or life&death, I just mean...in general. Ever since.. grade five or six maybe? Ever since then when this kid threw a snowball at my face and got a warning, I didn't understand how someone can justify giving second chances. If someone does something right the first time, why should they be treated the same as someone else who has to be given second, or third, or even fourth chances? I guess it's all relative, and I guess you shouldn't compare yourself to other people, and you shouldn't think that people are going to be comparing you with someone else. But isn't that exactly what everyone does?
P.S. Nice Haircut.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment