Monday, November 5, 2007

It's Not Unusual

Alright, so I am definitely getting somewhere with my semiotic analysis.

It took me so long to get an idea that I could work with and that I wanted to do. At first I wanted to take a look at Beatles album covers and show how they add up to Paul being dead, OR that the group just wanted to play with the idea, but that has been done so many times before and I don't think it would have been that interesting coming from me. Then I toyed with the idea of analyzing emoticons and online communication, my thesis being that online communication distorts our perception of emotions. I don't know how far I would have gotten with that idea though, I mean it is obviously good because there are so many examples..but I wouldn't be working with a specific 'text' as described by most semiotics specialists.

In the end, I decided to analyze the characters in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, showing that they enforce stereotypes labeled throughout our society. Watching it ALLLLL the time as a kid and teenager, I can think of tons of reasons why three characters, Will, Hilary and Carlton, represent specific Black stereotypes, and were designed that way. I just wanted to post about the clips that I used as research for my paper. I watch a lot of compilations and revisited episodes, but this was the best to use for analysis. Enjoy!

No comments: