Saturday, November 10, 2007

Feel Like Rain = We the Media and Media Hegemony Map

After reading ‘We the Media,’ my views about major corporations were solidified. Six major companies control, well, to put it mildly, influence what we see, hear, and know in media and the media. By having alliances amongst them and creating indestructible ideas to thrust upon society, these companies each profit from this mass take-over of the world.

It amazes me that some people still don’t think that media influences their lives. I mean at least accept it. “Anyone who believes their thinking isn’t shaped by media has got his or her head stuck in the sand. Stop for a moment and take this simple test. Imagine the following: a manager of a 7-11 store, an urban teenager, and a suburban mother of two. Be honest with yourself about the pictures that come to your mind.”(1) Yes, I pictured a brown guy (East Indian), a black teenager, and then I think I just pictured a white lady with red hair. I don’t know why? Actually I do! It is because of media!

Although there are those who don’t believe that media influenced them or their way of thinking, there are also those who blame the media for everything in their lives. For some, media is just an excuse.

The book was cool to read because it wasn’t a conventional book; the articles presented were varied in focus, but all added to the whole idea of the book - fighting media democracy. Taking in this information was beneficial to me, now I have a complete understanding of what culture jammers do, as well as adbusters, people who fight for media democracy, etc. This book was read in perfect timing because I finished it a few hours before we started the project.

For ‘Mapping Who Owns What?’ it was a lot easier to understand the whole media ownership deal. The group, with the newest ingredient, Adam Mirani, began our research by first looking at albumoftheday.com/facebook. This was suggested to us because it was a reference from our Internet Survey and Research class. We discussed and made...well basically a connection map for the Facebook corporation. Facebook is relatively new to the internet, so there isn’t a lot of info about its hegemony. However, we discovered that Facebook is still its own but releases information to other corporations. It’s pretty much a goldmine for the advertising industry because there is a lot of information about what appeals to the public. This connects so much with the book we the media, because the companies share information for each company to profit.

We also did further research on, Dr. Anita Jones, Gilman Louie, James Breyer, Accel, InQTel, BBN Technologies, and the NVCA. Stuff is messed UP! Basically, these individuals and companies are paid millions of dollars to collect as much information as possible about everyone. But why? We also discovered an upcoming issue about Microsoft. Microsoft may be indeed buying some of Facebook. Once again, a big company take-over. Or at least that’s what I believe it will become. (UPDATE: Microsoft has ALREADY bought a part, the number is not solid but it's around 30% according to Bernie Monette)

A Close- Up of our poster, the actual connection-map part

It’s amazing how quickly they will slip in ‘Oh yeah, and we’re giving your information out to other companies, well if we feel like it,’ in their terms of use and ‘Oh yeah we’re actually not-so-private’ privacy policy. That’s why I was so skeptical about using Facebook. And I mean that I was so skeptical that when nearly everyone I knew had a facebook and would pressure me into registering, I still didn’t do it. My friends had to make me one in order for me to even begin to accept it. Now I use it, but only to keep track of people back home. Now I only provide limited details about myself. And now Facebook and God only knows who else has access to my life.

What a sick, manipulative world we live in.

I find that my view of We the Media and the Hegemony Map reminds me of the song that I'm currently listening to, Feel Like Rain by Motion City Soundtrack. The fact that it's like feeling let down, among other things that the song and the notions of hegemony have in similar. Well look for yourself:D


And we feel like rain,
When the words all sound the same,
In the lifeless corners of this empty frame.

Though we feel let down,
by the same old autumn breathing,
winter's curse is just around the bend.

With our hands all tied,
to the blades of their design
we are armed and ready to commit this crime.

We love that game but we never play
'cause we will lose and we wanna stay
the way we are
the way we've been for far too long.

From the falsest smile
to the fear of death is why
the pain reminds us that we're still alive.

With our hopes on hold,
and our lack of interest exposed,
all hands damage our determined eyes.

But the lines are drawn,
and the red begins to creep
its way from boredom toward apathy.

We love that game but we never play
'cause we will lose and we wanna stay
the way we are
the way we've been for far too long.

We love that game but we never play
'cause we will lose and we wanna stay
the way we are
the way we've been for far too long.

Say something finally we're alone.
alright is there anyone out there at all?
say something finally we're alone.
how 'bout a phone call now?

We love that game but we never play
'cause we will lose and we wanna stay
the way we are
the way we've been for far too long.

We love that game but we never play
'cause we will lose and we wanna stay
the way we are
the way we've been for far too long.

We love that game but we never play
'cause we will lose and we wanna stay
the way we are

And we feel like rain,
when the words all sound the same
as the curtain closes on another day. (2)

It fascinates me how almost everything in my life will relate to a song. I blame the media!

Works Cited:
(1) Themba, Makani. "To Tell the Truth." We the Media. Ed. Don Hazen and Julie Winokur. New York: The New Press, 1997. 202.
(2) "Feel Like Rain Lyrics." Lyrics. January 2007. Sing 365. November 10, 2007.

No comments: