Sunday, November 4, 2007

Chicka Chicka Yea Yea

Mark Dery, a cultural critic, decided to plague me with a long reading in the same week that I am working on my semiotics essay, which isn't coming together as well as planned. But then again, I do have a back-up, so I think I'll be fine. The arguments are semi-strong...ahaha get it? Like semiotically strong? Get it? No? Okay.

So Dery's text proved to be a half-decent read. The beginning had many heavy ideas about the "effects of television and about the information 'explosion.' "(1) The text also provides an in depth look at media hacking, which, well from what I got from the text, is a revolt invloving many, against various sources of information, or, well, media. These could be advertisements, newscasters, and the like. It is about how everything has subtle meanings that the viewer may not notice at first. From what I know, Dery's point is to beat the media with their own game. It serves as an interesting concept for those who are always searching for something wrong with the media. I think a lot of the points in this article could be very beneficial to my semiotics essay. Definitely will read the article over so that I can catch any useful points.

Oh yeah, and from now on I'm going to try to get to the point as quickly as possible in these blogs. My time is too precious to waste on me always rambling on and on, usually meaningless phrases. See?

Works Cited:

(1) Dery, Mark. "Culture Jamming: Hacking, Slashing and Sniping in the Empire of Signs." Mark Dery's Pyrotechnic Insanitarium. September 29, 2007. Shovelware. November 4, 2007.
http://www.levity.com/markdery/culturjam.html

No comments: