Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It's All Downhill From Here...

Since I am just so unimpressed with society, I figure I should start reading books about it so that I am completely aware of I'm criticizing.
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto Cover

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto
by Chuck Klosterman

This book, that I randomly stumbled upon, just looks at everything in pop culture, and culture in general. Klosterman seems to analyze THIS Generation, my generation, including "reality television, tribute bands, Internet porn, serial killers, and the Dixie Chicks." (1)

"Chuck will make you think, he'll make you laugh, and he'll drive you insane — usually all at once." (2) This makes me think that I will love and hate this book. Wow, kind of reminds me of this class! I love and hate it, but in the end it deepens my knowledge, thinking skills, and, my favourite, critical analysis. It also will probably make me crazy after I read it because the ideas will literally blow my mind. My head will most likely explode. This book is essentially about people in our culture and how elements of pop culture like TV shows, music, and sports influence not only our behaviour, but our everything. That's what I think will be so crazy. Postman only looked at the television, really, and look what he cranked out of that! Imagine what this book has. I'm not even going to lie, I really want to read this book.

Some of the Titles of Chapters, that just make me want to read the book even more...

1) "This is Emo

11) Being Zack Morris

13) The Awe-Inspiring Beauty of Tom Cruise's Shattered, Troll-like Face

14) Toby over Moby

16) All I Know Is What I Read in the Papers

18) How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found." (3)



Works Cited:

(1), (2), (3) "Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto." 2007. Powell's Books. November 20, 2007.

<http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=28734&cgi=product&isbn=0743236009>